WHY is this important for lymphatic drainage/flow?!
The lymphatic system does not have a pump like the venous system has our heart . This deep breathing can help with lymphatic flow because it activates deep lymphatic structures that work with your thoracic duct to move your lymph through your body. This thoracic duct is responsible for 75% !! of your lymph fluid (yellow side) whereas the right lymphatic vessel is responsible for 25% (blue side).
Doing these breathing exercises at the start of your lymph drainage warm up series is important as we want to activate this lymph flow from the inside out prior to your workout for the day.
Tips on deep diaphragmatic breathing:
- Find a comfortable position lying, sitting or standing.
- Place one hand on your stomach and one hand on your chest.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4. You should feel your stomach expand out with your breath in.
- Breathe out through pursed lips for a count of 4.
- Continue for 8-10 breaths.
So let’s get to some deep breathing!